A Health Information Exchange (HIE) is a fast and secure way of electronically sharing your health information among a network of healthcare providers (nationally and internationally), including hospitals, physician offices, laboratories and pharmacies. Your health information is secure. Only authorized healthcare providers with a valid reason will be permitted to access your medical information.
Carilion Clinic believes that the HIE will enable us to better care for all of our patients.
- Improved Care- With access to information about your health history and medical care, your healthcare provider has a more complete picture of your overall health. This can help providers make better decisions about your care. The information may also prevent you from having repeat tests, saving you time, money and worry.
- Emergency Treatment- In an emergency situation, providers may immediately check your record to see if you have allergies, health problems, test results, medications or previous concerns that may be important factors in helping them provide you with emergency care.
- Helps to Protect Privacy and Information Security- By sharing information electronically through a secured system, the risk that your paper and faxed records are misplaced is reduced.
Carilion Clinic is committed to protecting the privacy and security of our patient’s health information, including the sharing and accessing of information through the HIE.
- The HIE and its participants must protect your private medical information under the federal HIPAA law, as well as applicable state laws.
- The HIE is encrypted, meaning it can be used only by authorized providers. This includes protections to prevent hackers from accessing your information.
- Each individual person with permission to see your information has their own user name and password and gets training before they can see your information.
- The HIE records every time someone looks at your medical information. In the event of a concern, the HIE can track who accessed your information and reports are available to the Carilion Clinic Privacy & Information Security Officer.
You may hand deliver your forms to the closest Carilion hospital medical records department in your area or mail to:
Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital Attn: Medical Records 1906 Belleview Ave Roanoke, VA 24014